SU construction update: Majority of summer projects have been completed

Rachel Gilbert | Feature Editor

A majority of summer construction projects on the Syracuse University campus have been completed, said Pete Sala, vice president and chief campus facilities officer, in an email to the SU community on Monday.

The bulk of the summer construction work at Syracuse University has concluded, said Pete Sala, vice president and chief campus facilities officer, in a campus construction update sent to the SU community on Monday.

Workers are putting finishing touches on a number of projects this week. Here are the projects being finalized, according to Sala’s email:

Forestry Drive and Sims Drive water main: The effort to relocate and replace a 50-year-old water main is ahead of schedule. Sims and Forestry drives will be closed from the bridge at Archbold Gymnasium to Illick Hall between 6 a.m. and 6 p.m. Tuesday through Friday.

Residence Hall renovations: All residence hall renovations are being finalized this week. Sala said in the email that he is confident that students will be pleased to see the many changes. 

University Place promenade: The promenade project is nearly complete, as much of the fencing around University Place has been removed. The promenade will officially be open on Aug. 22. 

Vehicular traffic pattern change: Beginning Monday, all vehicular traffic entering the SU campus will enter and exit via Euclid Avenue. The University Place gate will allow the entrance and exit of only emergency vehicles and campus shuttles and buses. City routes heading to the downtown hub will pick up passengers at the College Place bus stop instead of on Comstock Avenue. This bus stop will be open and ready for service beginning Aug. 22.

The fifth and final summer construction information session was held last week, but information sessions will continue during the fall semester with the first two meetings scheduled for Aug. 23 and Sept. 22, according to Sala’s email.