Things are getting ‘crazy’ for the SU Department of Drama

Courtesy of Michael Davis

The Department of Drama will begin performing "Crazy For You" this weekend.

UPDATED: Oct. 5, 2017 at 7:40 p.m.

The Syracuse University Department of Drama will dive back to the 1930s as it gears up for its fall musical “Crazy For You.”

George and Ira Gershwin’s classic romantic comedy is the 1992 Tony Award winner for “Best Musical.” An adaptation will be showcased at the Syracuse Stage/Department of Drama Complex on East Genesee Street from Friday through Oct. 15.

The show follows Bobby Child, a charismatic young man with dreams of Broadway stardom who can’t seem to get his big break. After traveling to Nevada to pursue a more “practical” career, Bobby instead assumes the guise of a successful Broadway producer. Using his talent to create a show, Bobby makes a last-ditch effort to save a foreclosing theater. Filled with award-winning dance numbers, the show has been performed all over the world.

Brian Marcum, director and choreographer of “Crazy For You,” said he has been a fan of the musical for as long as he can remember.

“It was the first musical I saw in New York and I fell in love with it,” Marcum said. “It was a life-changing experience to watch it.”

When it came time to choose shows for the 2017-18 school year, Marcum was asked to provide three different shows for consideration, and “Crazy For You” was at the top of his list.

The Gershwins are known for composing legendary, larger-than-life shows, and Marcum said “Crazy For You” is a huge show.

Sophomore Stephanie Garofalo will perform in the play as an ensemble dancer. Garofalo, well-aware of the play’s recognition, said she had her sights set on “Crazy For You” from the start, and even geared her audition toward the show.

“I really wanted to be in a tap-oriented show, because tap is my favorite kind of dance,” Garofalo said. She added that she was “ecstatic” when learning she had been cast in the show’s ensemble.

In addition to its “Best Musical” Tony award, the play won “Best Choreography” in 1992 — which is said to have cemented the importance that dance has to the story and structure of the play itself. As choreographer of the show, Marcum chose which choreography to include from the original.

“You have to pay homage to that stuff,” he said regarding Tony-winning choreographer Susan Stroman’s dance numbers. “However, most of it is my take on her show.”

In addition to the dance, both Marcum and Garofalo are excited about the show’s “gorgeous” costumes. Garofalo, who must wear the intricate, 1930s-style outfits onstage, said it “might be one of the most elaborate costumed shows ever done at the Stage.”

Marcum and Garofalo said the audience is in for a treat. Garofalo said she is hopeful that members of the SU community in particular will come see the show.

“I hope that a lot of kids come see this show, because I think that musical theater is kind of a dying art for our generation” she said.

The director added that the show has something for everyone, saying: “It’s great classic music with a story that’s timeless — tap dancing, showgirls and gunfights.”

CORRECTION: In a previous version of this post, the relationship between Syracuse Stage and the play “Crazy For You” was misstated. The play is a production of the Syracuse University Department of Drama, and it will be showcased at the Syracuse Stage/Department of Drama Complex. The Daily Orange regrets this error.

CORRECTION: In a previous version of this post, the end date for “Crazy For You” was misstated. The play will close Oct. 15. The Daily Orange regrets this error.