Theater

‘Steel Magnolias’ to open at Redhouse Arts Center on Friday

Haley Robertson | Asst. Feature Editor

"Steel Magnolias" by Robert Harling opens at the Redhouse Arts Center this weekend. The play is directed by Temar Underwood and features a cast of six actresses.

At Redhouse Arts Center, the cast of “Steel Magnolias” embodies a sisterhood that extends far beyond the play itself. Robert Harling’s classic script ignites laughter in the rehearsal room as the ensemble prepares for opening night.

“Our laughing on stage is not because we’ve been told to,” said actress Karis Wiggins.

“No, it’s because we’ve been told we’re allowed,” actress Marcia Mele added.

“Steel Magnolias” opens at Redhouse Arts Center on Sept. 21 with a preview performance on Sept. 20. The play is directed by Temar Underwood, who has worked with Redhouse as a guest artist for several years.

“Steel Magnolias” tells the story of Truvy’s Beauty Salon, where the women of Chinquapin, Louisiana, get their hair styled. For Underwood, the story hits close to home — cosmetology is his family business. His father owned a hair salon when Underwood was in high school and owned a beauty school later on.

When asked by the show’s designers what his vision for the play was, Underwood harkened back to his experiences at Positive Expressions salon as a teenager in Cleveland.

“I think that this world is … a positive expression of all of these women that gather here as sort of their sanctuary,” Underwood said.

With an all-women cast, the play is famous for its dynamic women leads. Mele, starring as Ouiser Boudreaux, auditioned for the show because of the script’s “meaty roles for ladies of a certain age” — something she said doesn’t come around often in theater.

“This is really about girlfriends, long-standing girlfriends and the support that they give each other,” Mele said. “It’s just a winner.”

steelmagnolias_haleyrobertson

Karis Wiggins (left) plays the role of Clairee and Marguerite Mitchell (right) plays Shelby in Redhouse Art Center’s production of “Steel Magnolias.” Haley Robertson | Asst. Feature Editor

Wiggins, a Syracuse University alumna, first saw the “Steel Magnolias” movie with her college roommate. Wiggins is playing Clairee Belcher but said she sees herself in all of the characters. She has many Southern women in her life and hopes to do them justice in her portrayal as Clairee.

“Steel Magnolias” was written in the 1980s, but Wiggins believes the show is still relevant today because the author successfully tapped into the archetype of women’s friendships — especially the bonds that form in places such as beauty salons.

“I love women ensemble pieces. It’s really always so rewarding off stage as well as onstage,” Wiggins said.

cleanerswanted

Underwood’s directing style is both “hands-on” and “hands-off” at the same time, Mele said. He provides structure, while giving the actresses room to make it “their show.” Underwood, who has never seen the film version of “Steel Magnolias,” wanted the company to take ownership of this piece with a fresh eye.

One note Underwood gives in every production he directs is no sighing allowed. For Underwood, sighing releases tension in the body and therefore disturbs the drama of a scene.

“Drama is conflict and conflict is tension,” Underwood said. “We want to hold the tension.”

The play has some emotionally difficult scenes that deal with racism and death. When directing these more serious moments, Underwood reminds the actresses to not dwell on the sad moments, but rather to focus on how the characters support each other with love.

Rounding out the cast is Laura Stisser as M’Lynn Eatenton, Marguerite Mitchell as Shelby Eatenton Latcherie, Magdalyn Donnelly as Truvy Jones and Caroline Strang as Annelle Dupuy Desoto. “Steel Magnolias” runs Sept. 20 to 30.