Orange After Dark hosts series of late night activities on weekend nights

Sarah Allam | Illustration Editor

Autumn brings more than a few on-theme events to anticipate: trees turning the warm colors of auburn, gold and brown; a cup of hot chocolate in your hand; cozy sweaters paired with thick socks and Orange After Dark’s fall schedule of events.

Orange After Dark is an organization at Syracuse University that plans events to help foster a more open and inclusive environment. OAD is hosting several events this semester including Pancake Breakfast Stressbuster and Fright Night at the Fair, in addition to a few new events members of the OAD staff are eager to debut.

Courtney Jones, associate director at the Office of Student Activities, said that while they’re always trying new things, this semester will include some past favorites.

“We’re going rock climbing again. We did that for the first time last semester, and it was such a big hit that we’re going again,” Jones said. “I think that it’s really fun to go to the local rock gym and take advantage of the cool opportunity there.”

Inspired by their Pancake Breakfast Stressbuster event traditionally held at the end of every semester, OAD will also be having their first Midterm Stressbuster. It will be in the Panasci Lounge in Schine Student Center at 10 p.m. on Oct. 13.

Jones said she liked the end-of-year breakfast and also wanted to give students a place to hang out during midterms. Having just solidified the details for the event, Jones said the mid-semester breakfast will offer an iced coffee bar and bubble tea.

“I’m hoping people will stop by just to chill out a little bit, take a small break from studying,” Jones said. “It’s not meant to take up your whole night. We want you to get back to studying if that’s what you need to do, but definitely stop in and hang out and just relax a little bit.”

Allison Scherger, a freshman student in the S.I. Newhouse School of Communications, has found that OAD events have made her “feel more included and less scared” on campus.

“It was just all of these activities that I would’ve done in high school or even as a kid,” Scherger said. “I thought that the second I got to college, I wouldn’t have anything like that anymore, so it definitely served as a reminder that Syracuse is still a fun place that will give me a great education but also allow me to have fun and enjoy my final teenage years.”

For students who like to dress up and dance the night away, OAD will host their first End of Year Formal on Nov. 30 at 10 p.m. at the Sheraton Syracuse University Hotel and Conference Center. Jones said the inspiration for this year’s formal came from other organizations hosting similar events, as well as gives students who are new to campus or aren’t as involved in various organizations to attend a fancier event with friends.

The OAD Late Night Movie series, held in the Gifford Auditorium every Friday and Saturday at 11 p.m., will feature “Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again,” on Friday, Oct. 12 and Saturday, Oct. 13.

Another popular event being held again this year is Grocery Bingo, a game that provides students with a chance to win a bag full of groceries. Sophomore Julia Catalano went to Grocery Bingo last year and considers it to be one of her favorite events held by OAD.

“I definitely want to make it to Grocery Bingo again. That was so fun, and you get food,” Catalano said. Grocery Bingo will be held at Schine on Nov. 3 at 10 p.m.

Between free skating, movie nights, crafts and dances, OAD puts together a schedule of events they hope will appeal to a variety of audiences, Jones said.

“Our hope and goal is to help students meet new people and make new friends as well as give them something to do at night on the weekends,” Jones said.