field hockey

Roos Weers’ two goals not enough in 3-2 loss to Louisville

Corey Henry | Staff Photographer

Syracuse hosted its senior night on Friday at J.S. Coyne Stadium.

More often than not, Roos Weers figures out surprises before they happen, her dad, Rob Weers said. At Thursday’s practice though, she didn’t expect the surprise that was coming. For 10 days, Rob planned his trip from the Netherlands to Syracuse. When he arrived, he went to practice to surprise his daughter.

“She put so much effort in here so I thought, okay, I have to go,” Rob said.

Typically, the Weers’ watch their daughter play on the livestream from home, as her mom did for Friday night’s game.

Rob was there to walk Weers into J.S. Coyne Stadium when the seniors were honored. He was there to hold her orange flowers before a picture of the seniors and their families was taken. He was in the stands when she tied the game in the first half and again in the second half when she helped Syracuse (8-6, 1-5 Atlantic Coast) take the lead in Friday’s game against Louisville (12-4, 3-3). Rob was there when Lousiville scored with 30 seconds to go in double overtime to win, 3-2.

“It was rewarding for myself,” Weers said, “but in the end we didn’t get the win and that’s why I am here. I wanted to get the win tonight for the team.”

Syracuse’s leading scorer had two goals for the second time this season, advancing the Orange into overtime. The first came near the end of the first half. Louisville was already on the board when SU was awarded a penalty corner. Weers converted the corner into a goal and when a similar situation arose early in the second half, Weers once again scored off the penalty corner, this time giving the Orange the lead.

Weers had a chance at a hat trick when she shot from the edge of the circle. The ball rolled through the legs of Chiara Gutsche and over the end line. It missed the goal by inches.

“I’m happy I scored the goals, obviously,” Weers said. “If I’m going to be honest, I like to score against (Ayeisha McFerran), one of the best goalies in the countries.”

With less than 10 minutes remaining, the Cardinals had the ball on Syracuse’s side of the field, inside the circle. Louisville called for a video review, claiming the ball bounced off a player’s foot. Weers and the rest of the team on the field ran to the sidelines. As they awaited the official call, Weers went to SU head coach Ange Bradley. Weers kept pointing to her heel.

Soon after, the referees made their decision and awarded Louisville a penalty corner that Alli Bitting turned into the game-tying goal.

Syracuse couldn’t respond and the game went to overtime, and then a second overtime. With seconds left of the clock, Louisville broke the tie to win. Weers was emotional after losing her last game at Coyne. She threw her stick on the ground and walked over to the fence. Rob stood in the bleachers above and talked to his daughter in dutch.

Weers has 41 goals, enough to put her in Syracuse’s top five all-time goal scorers. She’s in the top ten for assists and points as well.

Her offensive efforts kept the Orange in the game but Weers defensive efforts kept them there. Louisville got the ball in SU’s circle. Mercedes Pastor had nothing between her and the net until she got the ball into the circle. As soon as she reached a point she could shoot, Weers ran in front, intercepting the ball and stopping Louisville from scoring the then-game tying goal.

As Weers left the field, her dad stood outside the gate. While the rest of her teammates passed, Weers walked over to her dad who enveloped her in a hug.

“For him to come here and watch my last game,” Weers said. “It means a lot to me that they care, and I care about them.”