Women's Lacrosse

Regy Thorpe to become general manager, head coach at New York’s NLL team

Codie Yan | Staff Photographer

Gary Gait, pictured above, and associate head coach Regy Thorpe went to two national championship games together.

On Monday, Syracuse associate head coach Regy Thorpe announced that he is leaving Syracuse to become the general manager and head coach of New York’s National Lacrosse League team, Syracuse Athletics announced. Thorpe joined head coach Gary Gait’s staff in 2010 and was promoted to associate head coach in 2015.

During his time as a coach at SU, Thorpe was on the sidelines for eight NCAA tournaments including six semifinal games and two national championship games.

Thorpe also played at Syracuse in 1992 and 1993. During that time, he led the Orange to two title game appearances and their fifth NCAA title. He was also an All-American in the 1993 season.

“I would like to thank Gary and all of the assistant coaches and staff members who I have had the privilege of learning from over the years,” Thorpe said in a press release. “An opportunity to coach at your alma mater is a dream come true, and I have lived that dream for the last nine seasons.”

After leaving Syracuse, Thorpe spent 15 years playing for the Rochester Knighthawks. In that time, Thorpe helped bring league titles to Rochester in 1997 and 2007. In his final season with the Knighthawks, Thorpe served as the general manager, the same position he will hold next NLL season.

“I’m very excited for Regy as he takes on his next challenge in his coaching career,” Gait said.